Five words: Easiest, tastiest solo dinner ever.
To be perfectly honest, when the Mr. is traveling, I don’t get very inspired to cook for myself. Let’s just say I have my staples. And we were just laughing this weekend about how eggs are one of those, even when he is home. But as I was wrapping up my work day yesterday and musing about another night eating solo, I remembered I had green beans and potatoes at home. Not knowing what to make with those ingredients but vaguely recalling seeing something on Pinterest the day before, I turned to the digital inspiration mecca and found my target: Green beans with poached eggs and parmesan. I added a few red potatoes to the base and right before I dug my fork in, sprinkled some red pepper flakes on top for good measure. Easiest, tastiest solo dinner ever. Try it, you’ll like it. Promise.
Green Beans with Eggs & Parmesan
- 7 oz green beans, trimmed
- 8 small red potatoes
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- Shaved parmesan
- Olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Add the potatoes and boil for 3-5 minutes, just until fork tender. Remove and drop into a bowl filled with ice water. Remove and set aside.
- Add the green beans and boil them for just a minute, so still crisp. Transfer them to the bowl of ice water and remove.
- Pat potatoes and beans dry, then place on plates.
- In the same pot, add the vinegar. Reduce heat to a simmer, just below boiling.
- Crack the eggs one at a time into a shallow cup or small bowl, then drop each egg gently into the pot of water.
- Let the eggs simmer together in the pot about 3 minutes. Remove carefully with a slotted spoon.
- Place an egg on top of the beans and potatoes. Add slices of shaved parmesan.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season liberally with salt and pepper. For an extra punch, sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
*Serves 4. Recipe lightly adapted from Sweet Paul.