These warm days of summer call for indulging in sweet, cold treats, so I broke out the popsicle mold and created a batch of the most-delicious strawberry and cream pops. It was a perfect way to use some more of those ripe, juicy sweet strawberries I picked, and they’re unbelievably simple to make. No added sugar, no eggs, no thickeners. Just roasted berries blended into a thick fruit puree and swirled with crème fraîche laced with a bit of vanilla. The result is a creamy, sweet and slightly tangy popsicle — basically summer on a stick! They turned out beautifully, and they’re every bit as easy to prepare as the strawberry quick jam.
Roasting the berries really brings out the strawberry flavor as they caramelize; the rich crème fraîche adds a very subtle tang (you could easily use Greek yogurt or full-fat coconut milk instead). The hardest part is waiting for the popsicles to fully freeze, but the wait is well worth it.
1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved
1 7-oz. container crème fraîche
2-3 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and spread strawberries in an even layer. Roast until the berries are soft, about 20 minutes. Let cool on the pan, then transfer to a food processor or blender. Pulse just a few times (about 4-5 pulses) to create a mixture that is still a bit chunky.
2. In a small bowl, combine crème fraîche, milk and vanilla extract. Stir until smooth and creamy.
3. Spoon strawberry mixture into each popsicle mold until they are evenly filled. Repeat with the cream mixture. Using a spoon or popsicle stick, gently swirl the mixture inside each mold together.
4. Freeze pops for 30 minutes, then set the popsicle sticks in each. Continue freezing for 4 hours, until set.
5. To remove the popsicles, let them sit out 5-10 minutes to soften or prepare a large bowl of warm water and set the popsicle mold inside for 10 seconds. Gently wiggle each popsicle stick until the pops release.
*For a creamy, blended popsicle: Stir together the fruit puree and cream mixture, then divide evenly between the popsicle molds. For a layered pop: Alternate layers of fruit puree and cream mixture, freezing 10 minutes in between each layer to set before adding another layer.